I remember the ballroom dancing lessons at school back in the UK. The boys got to choose the girl they would want to dance with. There were more girls than boys so often we had to dance with other girls. Yes, there were times when I was in the ‘un-chosen’ lot. I remember the popular kids – the good looking ones – Keith always went for Donna! I wonder where they are now – and my childhood best friend, I haven’t been able to locate! Of course, I had boys choosing me too. It was also a time when there weren’t many coloured kids around so that limited the options obviously.
When I wasn’t chosen I was of course deflated. Yet, life is all about being chosen or not – whether it’s a house, school, job, choir, sports team etc etc. We get chosen or we get rejected. And yes rejection for whatever reasons is never easy to handle. It weighs us down and we often start seeing ourselves as failures. In fact we define ourselves based on these experiences.
Often our problem is that we don’t understand who we are in HIM as we have learnt to understand who we are according to how the world and our families see us and we measure ourselves against our experiences and even our own mistakes.
It is sad how quick we are to label people based one mistake. A child says a lie, the child is often scolded by its parents, “You liar”. Guess what, after a while the child gets used to be called a liar, the curse is on him and he lies without blinking an eye lid.
Look at the way we Christians talk about the characters in the Bible! Noah got drunk on ONE occasion – yet people refer to him saying ‘he was a drunkard’! Does the Bible call him a drunkard? Likewise with the Samaritan woman at the well being referred to as ‘the sinful woman’ where Jesus doesn’t pull her up for sin! (More on this in the next post).
Yes, this is the world and sadly us ‘Christians’ too. Not only do we punish ourselves for our past mistakes or circumstances or how we see our appearances or begin to believe what curses or jabs others have spoken over us we do the same for others – we begin to label! Yet what does God say about us?
God created man in His own image,
in the image of God He created him;
male and female He created them….
God saw all that He had made, and it was VERY good” – Genesis 1:27
God has created EVERY one – whether male or female, whether believers or not, rich or poor, high ‘status’ or low, black or white or yellow or brown… none of these discrimination factors that society poses is valid as God created EVERY ONE. Not only did He just create them, He created in HIS image and likeness, distinguishing us from all other living creatures (yes including distinguishing us from your pets too).
- How are we treating one another – whom God has created in HIS image and likeness and of whom He says was VERY GOOD?
- How are we treating ourselves for that matter? How do we view ourselves? How content are we the way we just are?
- How do we respond to people’s jabs and making fun at us, to bullying?
- How are we treating animals compared to how we treat people who are created in HIS image? To what extent are our passions and motivations justifiable or even pleasing to God?
I often tell people that they can poke fun at me but they are actually making fun of God as God created me just the way I am. Flaws are not flaws in His eyes – it’s the way God has created me for a reason for a purpose.
O LORD… You are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD….
For YOU created my inmost being;
You knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body – Psalm 139
He knit me and He knit you together in our mothers’ wombs.. Every part was intentionally done and He knows best. We are FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY made.
- Are you able to praise Him right now for that? For you being you?
- Do you need to repent and seek His forgiveness by any chance? Seek Him.. Allow the Holy Spirit to bring about any convictions? What are you basing your standards on for appearance? Is it these ‘super’ models who have done plastic surgery and are photo-shopped and hidden under layers and layers of well applied makeup?
- Are you able to see how God has created you – fearfully and wonderfully made – and be able to proudly walk out of the door without even a bit of make up? Make up isn’t wrong – don’t get me wrong – but what i’m asking is are we able to not ‘HIDE’ under make up? Who are you blaming when you aren’t able to accept yourself the way you are? Isn’t it God?
What more does God’s Word say about us believers?
As you come to Him, the living Stone – rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to Him….
You are a chosen people,
A royal priesthood
A holy nation
A people belonging to God – 1 Peter 2:4, 9
And it is made clear that we are so for a purpose! What is that?
That you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light – 1 Peter 2:9
- Do you believe? Then are you ready to declare the praises of HIM?!!!
God is the King of Kings, Lord of Lords. Do you believe that? Well if so, then do you believe that we are the children of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace is our brother? Then doesn’t that make you and me who BELIEVE (which is then shown in our surrendered life to the One and Only Living God) PRINCES and PRINCESSES too?
We aren’t human doings, we are human beings!
It’s not about what we do or not do, it’s about who we are in HIM.
It’s only in HIM that we are made complete!